je m'appelle . . .

My photo
social media consultant | beauty + fashion blogger | model | undercover nerd

7.14.2009

risky business

I love adventure. Or at least I think I do. Perhaps I thrive more on the thrill of discovering a new destination or experiencing/participating in that which I typically wouldn't ever do...

Anyways. I've noted that although many might believe me to be adventurous in deed/action, I've found myself at times to be less likely in heart. God has recently caused me to become aware of how I often times delude myself into believing I am adventurous in heart...

Now I'm not saying adventurous = stupidity. No, no, no. My desire is to live my life as fully alive; thus why I love to meet new people, experience new places, try something I've never done before, etc...

But God has been allowing me to face risks of the heart. Now scripture says that, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life" (Proverbs 4:23). I am a firm believer in protecting your heart (especially us women in relationships). However, protecting your heart doesn't equate shutting others out at the chance they might someday cause pain. Relationships are a risk. And yes, discernment is needed in regards to whether the continuation of some relationships is healthy. However, risk of the heart is sometimes necessary as it calls for complete reliance and trust in God...and His plan for our interpersonal relationships...

"I hold it true, whate'er befall
I feel it, when I sorrow most
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all"

-Alfred Tennyson (1850)

Ponder that.

No comments: